Monday, January 16, 2012

Nasi Goreng Sambal Tumis Udang - food reconstruction

A mother will always be a mother...she'll never let her children go hungry. This afternoon I checked through what's in the fridge, I found a container of sambal tumis udang, probably about 5-day old. I tasted it, it's still good but I don't feel like eating white rice with it. I also saw a container of white rice which Bill didn't eat for dinner yesterday...what else... hmmm... white eggs, leftover from the cake I baked yesterday.  I wanted to clear the fridge so I thought maybe a resconstruction will help.

I came up with an idea to fry Nasi Goreng Sambal Tumis Udang, incorporating all the three ingredients.  I think this is one of the simplest yet very filling dish to prepare. Let's get started!

Nasi Goreng Sambal Tumis Udang




Ingredients
2      cups of white rice
1      beaten egg (I used the white eggs left over)
2      shallots, sliced
1      garlic, minced
1/2   cube of ikan bilis or chicken to enhance flavor
Sambal tumis udang (peel the skin, please!) 
some oil to fry
some coarse black pepper (if you want it more spicy)
salt, if needed.

Method
1.     Heat up your pan, and with some oil in it, scramble the eggs and put it aside.
2.     Put in the shallots, stir until translucent then add in the garlic, then put in the sambal tumis 
without the prawn, the ikan bilis/ chicken cube and let the sauce reduce.  When sauce is reduced, put in the white rice, the peeled prawns, stir well.  Taste if it needs more seasoning, this is the time to add only a little salt and black pepper.
3.     Add in the scrambled eggs, stir well and taste again, if you still need salt, just sprinkle some more and stir the rice again, and we're done. Ready to be eaten.

I call this "food reconstruction" as we're creating a new meal from the meal that has already been cooked. 




No comments:

Post a Comment