Monday, January 16, 2012

Mushroom Sandwich Fillings

One of my all time favorite food is sandwich.  Any sandwiches - tuna, sardine, chicken, beef, egg... you name it. I love my sandwiches with meat, any kind of it, as long as it's halal, of course. I must say I love sandwiches in any form they come in, normal sandwich bread, coney dog, ciabatta, baguette, I even consider bruschetta as a sandwich. There time when I was on a no-rice diet, I lived on sandwiches. Last Ramadhan, I practically break-fast with sandwiches on every single week day throughout the month.  As a result, I lost some kilograms and I felt good on 1st Syawal knowing that I felt "lighter".  Lately I have this craze over vegetarian sandwiches and I made myself a stock of vegetarian sandwich filling which last me for about a week, storing it in the refrigerator for my convenience any time of the day.  How easy could it be, huh? Well, life is simple, so live simple.

I want to share this vegetarian sandwich filling recipe with those who love sandwiches, as a matter of fact with anyone who wants to give it a try.  Oops..."vegetarian"? I just remembered, one of its ingredient is chicken cube... not so "vegetarian" perhaps? but that's the only item non-vegetarian in the recipe.  It makes the sandwich filling taste a little meaty. Check out the recipe, yeah?


Mushroom Sandwich Filling


filling with yellow bell pepper



filling with red bell pepper






Ingredients

1     can of straw mushroom, halved then sliced into quarters vertically
1     bell pepper of any color, diced
       *I find yellow and red sweeter and in this recipe I used yellow
1     onion quartered and sliced
2     cloves of garlic
2-3  tbsp of oyster sauce
1/2  chicken cube
Some coarse black pepper (to your own preference)
Some butter to sautee the ingredients

Method

Melt some butter into your pan, fry the mushroom to eliminate the "bau tin", then add in the onion and stir until they turn translucent. Thrown in your diced bell pepper and season with half a chicken cube, oyster sauce and black pepper. You don't need salt as the chicken cube and oyster sauce are sufficient to season the other ingredients.  This is a stir-fry method, which means you shouldn't overcook the dish. If you like other vegetables, you can also add them as part of the ingredients...such as celery, spinach, shredded carrots, cherry tomatos, basically ANYTHING you like!

Now, how easy is the recipe? I think anyone who is capable to fry an egg can do this.

How to eat the meal?  In any way you want it. It's nice on a hot dog bun, or even nicer on a baguette.  Slice your baguette and toast it for a while with butter spread on them and rub a clove of garlic on it. Top the baguette with the sandwich fillings and it becomes a bruschetta.  Try it, it's tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment