Monday, January 16, 2012

Cake Doughnut Balls

I have always wanted to make doughnuts but never got down to making them...but I think I did once, a longggg time ago. Anyway, one of my god sister cracked the idea of making some, sharing the thought on Facebook and I thought perhaps it's a good idea for me to make some here at my Elysium. I browsed for an internet recipe to refresh on how to make doughnuts.  Unfortunately I landed on a lousy recipe.  The measurement of one of the ingredients was totally OFF perfection. I ended up throwing the whole batter into the tong sampah. By the way, I keep wondering how some people could share their recipes and when we try them out, the outcome isn't even close to what it's supposed to turn out to be.  If you were to share recipes with others, please write out recipes what will turn out fine.  I'm not saying it has to turn out like how you do it, but at least the outcome is something you can call "mesti jadi" minus the human factor such as air tangan and preference in taste.  So, anyway, I started from scratch with the second batch of batter for the doughnut, eyeballing the measurement of the ingredients.  So, I would like to share this recipe with my friends here and if you think you'd like to add a little more or less of the ingredient, please do so...after all we have our preferences.  Please bear in mind, I don't use yeast for this recipe, so the texture of the doughnuts isn't as light. However it will still turn out nice, insya'Allah.

Cake doughnut balls


Doughnut balls for tea time

A closer look...



Dry ingredients
2    cups multi-purpose flour
1/2 cup bread flour
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder (1/2 tsp if you like cinnamon)
1    tbsp baking powder
=> sift all the dry ingredients and mix well with 1/2 cup of sugar ( I used brown)

Wet ingredients
2    tbsp melted butter (cooled a little after melting)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg lightly beaten
Some oil for frying
some icing sugar + cinnamon powder for dusting

Method:
1.     Make a well in the center of the mixed dry ingredients and add half the milk, melted butter, egg and knead. Then add the other half of the milk gradually and knead the dough again.  Refrigerate for about an hour, but I didn't so so as I was running after time.

2.     Roll the dough into smaller balls and fry them in a medium heat, but do not crowd your wok with too many doughnut balls.

3.     After frying, let them cool a bit before dusting them with cinnamon-icing sugar.  It's easier if you put the icing sugar + cinnamon powder in a container or ziplock plastic bags and shake your doughnut balls in the container or ziplock to get a nice coating on them.

1 comment:

  1. Will try this version of doughnut..thnks for sharing d recipe...

    ReplyDelete